Profile of Invited Expert “Akande”
- Full Name
- Dapo Akande
- University Lecturer in Public International Law & Co-Director, Oxford Institute of Ethics, Law and Armed Conflict; Yamani Fellow.
- University of Oxford (St Peter’s College)
Dapo Akande has varied research interests within the field of general international law and has published articles on aspects of the law of international organizations, international dispute settlement, international criminal law and the law of armed conflict. His articles have been published in leading international law journals such as the American Journal of International Law, the British Yearbook of International Law and the European Journal of International Law. His article in the Journal of International Criminal Justice on the “Jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court over Nationals of Non-Parties: Legal Basis and Limits” was awarded the 2003 Giorgio La Pira Prize.
He has advised States and international organizations on matters of international law. He has advised and assisted counsel or provided expert opinions in cases before the International Court of Justice, the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, international arbitral tribunals, WTO and NAFTA Dispute Settlement Panels as well as cases in England and the United States of America. He has acted as Consultant for the African Union on the international criminal court and on the law relating to terrorism. He has also provided training on international law to diplomats, military officers and other government officials.
In addition to being editor of EJIL:Talk! (the blog of the European Journal of International Law), he is a member of the boards of a number of journals, academic and professional organizations, including: the Scientific Advisory Board of the European Journal of International Law; the Editorial Board of the African Journal of International and Comparative Law; the Advisory Council of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law; the Executive Council of the British Branch of the International Law Association; and the Advisory Committee of International Lawyers for Africa.
- Selected Citations to Published Materials
- The Jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court over Nationals of Non-Parties: Legal Basis and Limits, (2003) 1 Journal of International Criminal Justice 618-650
- International Law Immunities and the International Criminal Court, (2004) 98 American Journal of International Law 407-433
- The Legal Nature of Security Council Referrals to the ICC and its Impact on Al Bashir’s Immunities, (2009) 7 Journal of International Criminal Justice 333-352
- The Sources of International Criminal Law, in , , and others (eds.) Oxford Companion to International Criminal Justice, (OUP, 2009)
- Immunities of State Officials, International Crimes and Foreign Domestic Courts, forthcoming (2010) 21 European Journal of International Law (issue 4)
- Member for
- 6 years 42 weeks