Profile of Member “Abbas.Poorhashemi”
- Full Name
- Dr. Abbas Poorhashemi
- President and International Law Expert
- Canadian Institute for International Law Expertise (CIFILE)
Dr. Poorhashemi is the President of the Canadian Institute for International Law Expertise (CIFILE), Toronto, Ontario (since 2017). He is providing legal opinions on international law as an expert before the foreign and Canadian courts. He was an assistant professor in international law and faculty member at the University of Science and Research (IAU) for more than ten years. He has taught Public International Law, International Criminal Law, International Environmental Law, Comparative Law and other legal courses to J.D. and/or international LL.M. students for more than ten years. Furthermore, he has practiced law as a lawyer (barrister and solicitor), expert and legal adviser in International law, Criminal Law and family law in many different jurisdictions, including Canadian courts.
Dr. Poorhashemi holds a Ph.D. in International Law from the University of Strasbourg, School of Law, (France, 2005). He was also a Postdoctoral Fellow in International Law & Globalization at the CEDIM (UQAM University, Canada, 2013).
His teaching and research interests are in the areas of Public International Law, International Criminal Law and International Environmental Law. He has published many books and articles in each of these areas. He is also the Editor-in-Chief of the CIFILE Journal of International Law (CJIL).
Research interests — International law, International environmental law, international arbitration, human rights, jurisprudence, environmental criminal law, international responsibility (English, French and Persian)
Courses taught — International Law, international environmental law, international arbitration, human rights, jurisprudence, environmental criminal law, international responsibility, international treaties
Membership — International Bar Association (2010), Member of the Scientific Council in Azad University of Tehran (2006), Centre de Recherches et d'études sur les droits de l'Homme et le droit humanitaire, CREDHO-Paris University, France (2006), Member of the judging committee of the National Conference on World Environment Day (2015), Member of the Scientific Committee of the National Conference of Geography, Planning and Sustainable Development (2013), Associate Researcher of the Centre for the Study of International Law and Globalization (CEDIM) of University of Québec in Montréal (UQAM), Canada (2012), President & Scientific Directorof the Canadian Institute for International Law Expertise (CIFILE) (2017), Member of the World Commission on Environmental Law of the IUCN (2020).
Post-doctoral International Law & Globalization 2012-2013
UQAM University, CEDIM, Montreal, Canada
The subject of Research: Foundation of International Environmental law, positive & critical aspects
Ph.D. in International Law 2003-2005
University of Strasbourg, School of Law, France
The subject of Thesis: « Aspects juridiques de la protection de l’environnement de la mer Caspienne.» Grade: Excellent with the congratulation of the jury
M.A., International Law 2002-2003
University of Nancy, School of Law, France
• International Law
• International Environmental Law
• International Contract Law
• Global Governance
Current research interests
• Development of International Law
• Future of International Environmental Law
• Environmental Law and Policy Reforms with Sustainable Development
• Immigration and Impacts of Climate Change
• International Law
• International Environmental Law
• International treaties, International custom, General principles of law, International Judicial decisions regarding Environmental Law
President of the Canadian Institute for International Law Expertise (CIFILE)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada 2017-Present
CIFILE offers and provides International Law expertise, legal training, online courses, conference, legal Research and publications. http://www.cifile.org
Editor-in-Chief of CIFILE Journal of International Law (CJIL)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada 2019-Present
CIFILE Journal of International Law (CJIL) is a high-quality, open-access and peer-reviewed journal related to the Canadian Institute for International Law. http://www.cifilejournal.com/
International and Foreign Law Expert witness at the Canadian courts of Justice
Ontario and Quebec, Canada
• Researching legal precedents and evidence in international and foreign law
• Providing a legal expert opinion on foreign law in Canadian courts
• Analyzing and study on different issues which affect international clients, such as homologation of the Canadian judgment in other countries, divorces cases, inheritance and the sale of properties in other countries.
Assistant Professor of International Law 2006-2016
Science and Research Branch, IAU
Courses offered in international public law, international environmental law, international treaties etc.
Founder & Senior Partner 2008-2017
M.M. International Law Firm and Dr. Poorhashemi International Law Firm
• Directing international law firm with a team of 20 lawyers, advocates, legal trainees etc.
• Supervising and coordinated activities of attorneys at law
• Conducting legal research and factual investigations and international law
• Drafting pleadings, investigated public records, and filed court documents for a firm engaged in civil, criminal and international litigation Advised clients of their legal rights and all matters related to international law
• Participated in negotiations between companies in different locations and drafting contracts in international commercial matters relating to the incorporation and organization of companies, joint ventures, expropriations, importations, purchases, sales etc.
Center for the Study of International Law and Globalization (CEDIM) of University of Québec in Montréal (UQAM), Canada http://www.cedim.uqam.ca/spip.php?article8 2012-2014
- Member for
- 1 year 16 weeks