Profile of Invited Expert “de Brouwer”
- Full Name
- Anne-Marie de Brouwer, Ph.D., LL.M.
- Associate Professor
- Tilburg University/Tilburg Law School
Anne-Marie de Brouwer (Ph.D., LL.M.) is an Associate Professor in international criminal law at the Department of Criminal Law and a research fellow with the International Victimology Institute Tilburg (INTERVICT) at Tilburg University, the Netherlands. Currently she is working as a research fellow with the Institut de Recherche en Droit international et européen de la Sorbonne (IREDIES) at the Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne in Paris, France. Previously, she was an associate legal officer at the Women’s Initiatives for Gender Justice in The Hague.
Her main areas of research and interest include international crimes, international criminal law and procedure, victims’ rights, victimology, sexual violence and transitional justice.
Anne-Marie de Brouwer is the author of the book “Supranational Criminal Prosecution of Sexual Violence: The ICC and the Practice of the ICTY and the ICTR (Oxford—Antwerp: Intersentia, 2005)”, for which she received the Max van der Stoel Human Rights Award 2006. She also co-edited the book “The Men Who Killed Me: Rwandan Survivors of Sexual Violence (Douglas & McIntyre, 2009)”, which features seventeen testimonials and photos of survivors of sexual violence. She has published numerous articles in the abovementioned fields of interest, and co-edited several collections of essays in this field, including “Victimological Approaches to International Crimes: Africa (Intersentia, 2011)” and “Sexual Violence as an International Crime: Interdisciplinary Approaches (Intersentia, 2012 (forthcoming))”.
She is the co-founder and chair of the Mukomeze Foundation, which aims to improve the lives of women and girls who survived sexual violence during the Rwandan genocide.
- Selected Citations to Published Materials
- Gacaca Courts in Rwanda: 18 years after the genocide, is there justice and reconciliation for survivors of sexual violence? (ed. with ).
- Sexual Violence as an International Crime: Interdisciplinary Approaches (ed. with , and ).
- Victimological Approaches to International Crimes: Africa (ed. with Rianne Letschert, Roelof Haveman and Antony Pemberton).
- ‘The Role of Victims in International Criminal Proceedings’, in: and , International Criminal Procedure: Towards a Coherent Body of Law (pp. 149-204) (ed. with ).
- The Men Who Killed Me: Rwandan Survivors of Sexual Violence (ed. with ; photographs by Samer Muscati).
- Supranational Criminal Prosecution of Sexual Violence: The ICC and the Practice of the ICTY and the ICTR.
- Member for
- 6 years 31 weeks